7th World Congress against the Death Penalty… it was 6 months ago (already)!
12 September 2019
Already 6 months have passed since the 7th World Congress against the Death Penalty, which was held in Brussels from 26 February to 1 March 2019. More diversified, more participatory and more formative than ever, this 7th edition brought together more than 1500 actors in the abolitionist struggle from all over the world. Together, during these four days of debates, training, workshops and cultural events, we seized the opportunity to pool our strengths and ideas to generate projects and achieve our common goal: the universal abolition of the death penalty.
Remember.... After the Congress, we asked you to keep us informed if you were to launch a project, a campaign or publish a report aimed at advocacy or awareness-raising at the local or wider level. Some of you have already done something, others are ready to do it.
We will be able to relay them to all our partner networks, give them greater visibility, and ensure that the synergies created during the Congress are implemented locally. To do so, please send your news to firstname.lastname@example.org.
On the ECPM side.... During these 6 months, we have....
- Previewed the Congress film
- Published two fact-finding missions on death row, in Mauritania and Cameroon
- Launched a campaign and called on the UN to address the situation of French jihadists sentenced to death in Iraq
- Received a poignant letter from Hank Skinner, sentenced to death 20 years ago in Texas
- Welcomed the release of Mauritanian blogger Mohamed Cheikh Ould Mkhaitir after five years of detention, almost two of which were incommunicado
- Proudly celebrated the 15th anniversary of our campaign "The death penalty is homophobic" during the Paris Pride march
- Launched online the "11th Annual Report on the Death Penalty in Iran" with Iran Human Rights, presented at the Congress
- Put online the final declaration of the Congress, as well as the commitments made by the UN Special Rapporteurs, parliamentarians, NHRIs, and Bars, during the Congress
- Presented the prizes to the young participants of the "Draw me the abolition" contest, chosen by a jury during the Congress
- Drafted a report on "Recommendations for the abolition of the death penalty in the Democratic Republic of the Congo".
- Released our 2018 Activity Report
- Dedicated a Youtube channel gathering all the videos of the Congress and regularly updated
- And continued our advocacy actions in Indonesia, Malaysia, Cameroon, the DRC, the Maghreb countries, Iran and Mauritania...